Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook won't quit

Status
Not open for further replies.

dustbuster

Programmer
Dec 19, 2002
I have a computer that won't end the Outlook 2003 process no matter how Outlook is shut down (Using the X for File -> Exit). The process stays active (can see it running in the task manager). When we try to open Outlook again it won't start (presumably because the process is still running).

We've tried reinstalling Office, CheckDisk, disabling Norton Anti-Virus, checking for programs that use Outlook files, etc.

Any more ideas on how to fix this problem would be great.

Thanks

I see this sometimes when Word is used as the default e-mail editor. Word gets a hook into Outlook and won't let it go. Both processes show even when the apps are closed via the X or File->Close. Go into Task Manager and kill both processes and see what happens. You should be able to re-open Outlook to change the default editor.

If this is not the case, then I'm confused (a normal state of mind for one of the tech community)...

cckens

"Not always my best shot, but I hit the target now and then"
-me

I will try to disable Word as the default editor and see if that fixes it. I didn't think to look for that one. As it is now we can terminate the Outlook process and restart Outlook...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back