Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook without Exchange and BB 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

polymath5

MIS
Dec 23, 2000
US
Hi all - Some of our sales people would like to use BB. But here's the rub. We don't use exchange. Our OL2K workstations connect to our MDaemon 6.5.2 server.

The potential users want to be able to send and receive email and have it look like it came from their normal email account. It's particularly important that responces to their email from clients goes to their normal company email account, not some Earthlink (non-local) type account.

Is anyone using BB with a non exchange server- Outlook environment? =============
Mens et Manus
=============

We're using the BlackBerry with GroupWise, all emails are delivered to the users GroupWise accounts. The BlackBerry checks the users email accounts using either POP or IMAP, you can use either one.

Hi Tony11,

I don't think that will help me. I think GW is like Exchange in that it's one of the systems RIM directly supports in an enterpise. I'm really looking for something like an Outlook .pst interchange. =============
Mens et Manus
=============

Thanks for the Link. I'm going to dig into with them. =============
Mens et Manus
=============

Question: "Will the BlackBerry Enterprise Server work without the BlackBerry Enterprise Server Management (MMC Snap-in)?"
Response: "The BlackBerry Enterprise Server will work on a non-Microsoft Exchange 2000 native platform without the BlackBerry Enterprise Server Management (MMC Snap-in) Software. (Microsoft Exchange administration extensions in a Microsoft Exchange 5.5 or mixed environment are used instead to administrate the BlackBerry Enterprise Server.) For a BlackBerry Enterprise Server to function in a Microsoft Exchange 2000 native environment, the BlackBerry Enterprise Server Management (MMC Snap-in) Software must be present"

The Blackberry Internet Edition will work for you. How it works is that the handheld has its own e-mail address, which is seperate from your corporate address. What you do is configure that users account to forward a copy of all mail to that address. That will allow the BlackBerry to receive messages as well as the users regular mail account. However, you can configure an alias for the handheld so when you send a message from the handheld, it will be from the corporate e-mail address.

This is supported buy any POP3/IMAP4 mail server that can forward copies to an alternate mail address. If you do not forward copies, mail will only go to the handheld and never to Outlook.

One thing that the Internet Edition will not be able to do, however, is reconcile the inbox.

Hope that helps.

Thank you Ibicher - Would you mind going into a bit more depth about what you mean reconciling the inbox?

I just want to be able to be sure I'm giving everyone here the correct information.

Thanks again! =============
Mens et Manus
=============

Sure, no problem.

Mailbox reconciliation is a feature of Blackberry Enterprise Edition that will allow the handheld and Inbox to syncronoze, that is when you delete something from the handheld when you synch the message will be deleted in Outlook and vice-versa. The Internet Edition does not have this functionality. If you delete the message on the handheld you would still have to delete it in Outlook, and vice-versa. This is because the Enterprise Edition atually integrates with your mailbox on the Exchange Server (or Groupwise) where the Internet Edition only receives a forwarded copy of the messages.

I happen to use both types. For my full time job I have the Enterprise Edition Blackberry (I happen to be the Exchange Admin so that falls under my domain as well.) I also have the Internet Edition for my person mail, which I use for side work. If you have any other questions, let me know.

Thanks for the addtional details. That wouldn't be a problem.

The most important thing is that mail sent from the handheld would have his normal 'sent from' address, so that any replies back would go to his normal Outlook inbox. =============
Mens et Manus
=============

tony11:
Which software do you have that integrates groupwise with blackberry?
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back