Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook will not open the pst file. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

flareman

Technical User
Jan 3, 2003
US
Aargh!! This morning I started Outlook (2000) and it said it couldn't read the files. I had to create a new pst file but then there is no history, nor any of yesterday's work and unanswered mail. No problem .. import all the pst files I can find and I'm sure to update everything ? NOT!!

I find the corrupt .pst files OK but outlook says "properties for this file must be defined prior to use" HOW? There's not follow up dialog.
I also get a message saying errors are detected, use the inbox repair tool. I then find "detect and repair" under |Help| but get another message that tells me that outlook can't find the program to install, is it a valid program. How do I know? I'm at my wits end here. Clearly I'm missing something. It's probably an add-in but I can't find it on the installation disk either.

Anyone !!!!
[dazed]
David

Look for the repair tool (scanpst.exe) and double click it.

It will ask you for the name of the pst you wish to have repaired.

Where is the PST file located? Locally on your hard drive or on a network resource? If it is on a network resource then there might be something gone awry with your networko connection to that resource or you are not authenticating to the server that your pst file resides on....

check it out!

~TD

All,
Thanks for your interest.

mscallisto
The repair tool worked just fine. How come MS doesn't tell you where to find it? It would have saved me ages of frustration.

Technidiva
I am connected to a network but all the pst files are on my hard drive.

Now, unfortunately after importing the recovered file, I've managed to generate two independent sets of personal folders which I need to consolidate. Obviously I can just drag stuff fom one to the other but that doesn't remove the personal folders I now don't want. I thought of slogging through another debug process but am electing to wimp out and ask for good ideas. Are the two personal folders I find in my folder list linked to the original pst files (which are actually in different places on my hard drive) or did the import bring everything into the newer pst file allowing me to delete the old pst files. The system folders in the unwanted personal folders list don't delete from my folder list when I empty them and try a regulare delete.

My archive files are on the network and I think I'm going to put the backup there too.

[ponder]
David

import bring everything into the newer pst file will allow you to delete the old pst files.

from outlook:

Tools
Services
Highlight The Personal Folder" you no longer need
Click Remove
The personal folder will remain on your hard drive but will not be listed in outlook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back