Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook Web Access 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

spc1

Technical User
May 22, 2003
GB
Hello,

Can you configure OWA for remote users with out ISA? I have setup SSL and it works internally. I don't have ISA and wondered if there is any round this problem?

Thanks in advance

SPC1

Thanks for your relpy, Can you offer any advice on what needs configuring? I have allowed port 443 on the firewall and the external ip address. It works fine on the lan

are you sure people are putting in "https" and not "http" for the link and that when accessing OWA remotely that you're not using the private network IP

What's the rest of your network config? Is there a firewall doing NAT between your server and the internet? If so, is it set to forward SSL (port 443) as well as HTML port 80 traffic to your server?

Generally, the recommended practice with OWA is to have external DNS set to resolve the host mail.domain.com to your public IP. The SSL cert used should be generated with that identity rather than just the IP address.

Thanks for your help,

my firewall is doing my NAT and it does forward port 443 and port 80. my external ip address 195.147.x.x is forwarded to my local ip address 10.0.100.2. i think i have created the cert right. Any other ideas?

Are you sure there isn't some sort of port-forwarding problem. Your IIS is clearly working given that you said it works internally, but the errors you describe sound like your outside router isn't touching the IIS server at all.

If you go home and telnet to:

telnet 195.147.x.x 80

and it manages to connect () and you then type:

GET

and it returns back html code like:
--------------------------------------------------------
HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request
Server: Microsoft-IIS/5.0
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 23:05:59 GMT
Content-Type: text/html
Content-Length: 87

<html><head><title>Error</title></head><body>The parameter is incorrect. </body>
</html>

Connection to host lost.
--------------------------------------------------------

then you know it's hitting the IIS server, if you get nothing or the port seems to be closed off, then it's most likely a problem at the edge of your network.

You can also, from your LAN, go to and do the "Shields UP!" test, it can tell you which ports are open and forwarding on your router.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back