Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook Web Access - Redirect Rule Not Working

Status
Not open for further replies.

jt463

IS-IT--Management
Nov 23, 2005
I have followed the steps to create a rule that will redirect emails sent "with my name in the To or CC box". I have sent several emails with my name in the To box and have it set to redirect to another one of my accounts on a different domain. It has been a couple hours and no redirected emails have come through.

Does the redirecting just take forever, or is there perhaps something I am missing?

The steps I took:

1. Create new rule for incoming messages
2. Where my name is in the To or CC box
3. Forward or Redirect to a person or distribution list (selected "Redirect" and entered my email in the "To" box when I opened the "person or distribution list" window
4. Clicked 'save'
5. Closed out of OWA and sent email from Outlook. Also tried sending email from OWA after logging back in.

Thanks in advance.

You need to create a mail enabled contact ( <<- I forget the exact terminology) in ADUC and forward to that.

Thanks noveyron - how do you go about setting that up? Is it a particular domain? I have an sbcglobal account as well as a regular account built from my own domain.

Do you have administrative access to your domain controller?

Either you or your network admin need to open up "Active Directory Users and Computers" (ADUC) on the domain controller, and create a contact that has the smtp address that you want to forward your mail to.

Once that is done, recreate your rule, and select the above contact (rather than typing your address in manually) as the person that you forward to.

This probably explains it a little bit better than I do:

Do Items 1-8 ref my 1st paragraph, then either follow 9-12, or do it as per my paragraph 2

I think I happened upon the explanation. I believe I have to have an account of this type established on our Exchange Server...unfortunately, not an option for us at this time.
"

Not quite, you need to create a Contact rather than a User, see the link in my previous post - Are you able to create a contact?

Thanks noveyron. I don't have admin access to Exchange. I do have people in the office who have elevated level access to Outlook. I can create contacts, but I don't believe I have access to the Active Directory Users and Computers.

Oh. The contact needs to be created in ADUC rather than your Outlook unfortunately.

Can you ask your IT guy to create the contact for you, it is a pretty standard request.

Thanks noveyron. I will pursue that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back