Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook Web Access (OWA) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pelcakm

IS-IT--Management
Jun 9, 2006
US
Our I.T. department is currently in the process of researching a means of checking company email outside the bounds of the corporate network, i.e. web access. Right now we are considering two main ideas, Microsoft Outlook Web/Mobile Access and Citrix Web Interface. The key factor in determining which solution to choose comes down to risk assessment. From the information I have found, both seem like fairly solid and secure systems. Those that have experience with OWA, what concerns, fixes, configuration issues, have you had to address in implementing OWA?

I should add, that we currently operate on Exchange Server 2003 and Citrix Presentation Server 4.0.

Haven't used Citrix, but OWA is nice and simple, and as long as you get ssl, https setup should be secure enough.

Those that have experience with OWA, what concerns, fixes, configuration issues, have you had to address in implementing OWA?

Install a trusted third party SSL certificate.

First, follow

Implementing the Change Password feature with Outlook Web Access

Then, install the

Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Outlook Web Access Web Administration

and configure your desired features.

While you're at it, take a look at

Outlook Mobile Access (OMA) in Exchange Server 2003

And take a look at

Securing Outlook Web Access using SSL

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -