Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook - unticked "Send mail items" but still tries to send

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotbread

Technical User
Mar 13, 2006
AU
Hi,

I have a POP3 email account (A) set up in Outlook and in the Send/Receive settings I have removed the tick from the box "Send mail items". I also have a Microsoft Exchange Server account (B) set up in Outlook with Send enabled.

Whenever Outlook does an automatic (or manual) send/receive, it tries to connect to the outgoing server for the email account A even though "Send mail items" was disabled. As a result, it repeatedly displays the error "Outlook is unable to connect to your outgoing SMTP e-mail server". The outgoing server for this account cannot be accessed from my work computer, which is why I wanted to disable sending in the first place.

This problem has only occurred recently - since a new Windows profile was created for me on my computer. Previously, with Send disabled, Outlook didn't try sending or connecting to the outgoing server - so I don't understand why I'm having this problem now.

Is there any way I can stop Outlook from trying to send mail for this account (A)?

Tim

Just to be sure, as to where you're looking to make sure the sending is disabled on this account, did you go here (below)?

Tools -> Options -> Mail Setup -> Send/Receive -> click Edit button on "all accounts" -> Find your account there on the left, and uncheck "include the selected account in this group

Yes... I made sure the account in question was unchecked.

I ended up creating a new user profile in Outlook with exactly the same email accounts, and the problem didn't return, so I guess the cause will remain a mystery.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back