Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook takes 10-15 seconds to load on startup 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsg1000

MIS
Feb 17, 2003
US
I am having a problem, outlook express and outlook take almost 10-20 seconds to load each time i click on the icon. How can i fix this problem? I have xp sp1

Thanks

When Messenger is removed using some of the popular uninstall methods, there is one registry key left behind that causes Outlook and Outlook Express to take a long time to load. On some computers, this may be accompanied by an entry in the error log saying "The server {FB7199AB-79BF-11D2-8D94-0000F875C541} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout"

To fix this, start REGEDIT.EXE and navigate to the key:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{FB7199AB-79BF-11d2-8D94-0000F875C541}
You can also do a search for this key to get there easily.

In this key, you will find the keys InProc32 and LocalServer32. In both of these keys, there is a default key. Change the default key to a empty string. Reboot your computer after making the change.

If you have antivirus (active) software on your machine this could be the reason also.....try making some exclusions in the virus software.

Excluding pagefile.sys is a definate exlcusion you should make.

Thanks
Colin

the best way I've found to get rid of msn messenger is simply to rename it's program file (Messenger) to something different (e.g. messegnerold). This will stop it being loaded up by windows or outlook - amazingly enough without any errors or anything.

Sorry this isn't a direct reply to your thread, but it is just a general tip.maybe this would solve your problem? (I think it unlikely, but possible)

Tools
Options
Other

Uncheck Instant Messaging
Close Outlook
Open Outlook

This worked for me with Outlook. I have not dealt with Express yet.

Similar procedure with outlook express. Also take a look at faq779-4299

Greg Palmer

----------------------------------------
Any feed back is appreciated.

I have Hotmail set up as an e-mail account in Outlook. Every time I open Outlook it tries to establish an online link to it. That takes time. Outlook is also my default e-mail program. So, it also tries to establish an online link to my ISP's pop3/smtp server. That also takes time. If I am not connected to the Internet I get error messages after quite a delay and then Outlook operates normally.

I have set the options in Messenger to prevent it from starting at Windows startup. I also have it disabled in Outlook. Otherwise I expect it also would have added to the long startup time for Outlook

Gunny

You can also tell Outlook not to check for mail when you open it, only when you manually tell it to check. Forget where but it's there somewhere.

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

My Outlook is set up to check and send/receive e-mails only when I press F9. I think it is really only checking the connection(s) as startup. I think it will check the connection for each defined e-mail account anyway.

Gunny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back