Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook - Stop asking for password

Status
Not open for further replies.

TobyT

Instructor
Mar 2, 2002
GB
When I open Outlook on my PC it now asks me for my Username & Password again before it opens.

It used to go straight into Outlook taking these details from my network logon.

How do I change settings in my profile to stop it asking for the password?

Thanks in advance for any help

Tobyt

Have you logged of the lan in a while. If you havent you might need to chaange your lan password, for security Outlook will start to ask for passwords because your lan PW grace period has expired.

Outlook stores the profile information in the registry at
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Protected Storage System Provider\"email name"\Data

Run Regedit
Edit Find
Type in: Protected Storage System Provider (Find Now)
Delete the Key

Go into Outlook remove the account and reput it in.

Outlook DOES have problems.....

Jim

Jim,

Which version of Office are we talking about here? I'm having the same problem in Win2k and OfficeXP. That key doesn't exist.... there's only the SID and it changes as each user logs on.

Joe

It is Office XP and I didn't find the key either.

Still Stuck

TobyT [neutral]

Someone suggested trying this: I haven't had the chance to try it but I'll let you know......

Try renaming the .PWL file for this user ID, and then reboot the computer. The .PWL files should be in the WINNT directory (I think).

When this user ID logs in again, Windows should create a new password (.PWL) file. This should allow Outlook to retain its password settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back