Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook Spell Check - Ignore 'technial' words

Status
Not open for further replies.

Distraction

Technical User
Jan 30, 2004
US
I work in a data environment and am constantly sending emails with tablenames and columnnames in it, or snippets of query code.

Is there a way to make the Spell Check ignore any words with an underscore in it, like 'cust_id'?

It would be WAAAY too tedious to add every word to the ignore list, and I want to be spell-checked, just not for the technical jargon.

Is there a sneaky way around this?

Thanks

Not unless you can just use a wildcard, like this:

*_*

Of course, you could always use one like this as well:

*,*
U

[wink] - Okay, just thought I'd have a little bit o' fun with the last suggestion. The first one was a real suggestion, though. I've never tried anything like it, but if anything will work, it'll have to be a wild-card.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Nice thought.

Unfortunately, it treats them as literals. So it will ignore *_* but not cust_id.

But that's got me thinking. Maybe _i would cause cust_id to be ignored. Let me try some things.

That worked.

So, if anyone else is interested, you could just build a list in notepad and then copy it into the Custom exclude list. The list could contain _a all the way through _z and a_ all the way through z_ and numbers, too. If it sees it once in a word, it ignores the word completely.

For example, adding _i and 2_ alone allowed me to put in:

select * from b2_cust_base where cust_id is not null

...and it properly ignored b2_cust_base and cust_id.

Woot!

Distraction,

So happy for you that it worked.

Perhaps you got distracted, but wouldn't it be nice to reward the person that suggested the solution?
star.gif
[wink]

Member- AAAA Association Against Acronym Abusers

In case of blocks of text rather than single words there is another option, it is possible to define own style, with spell checking excluded.

combo

In word: write any text, mark it, deselect spell checking, in 'styles' drop-down write its name, say 'technical'. Having it in 'Normal.dot' template you can mark a part of document and choose 'technical' style for it. All its settings, including spelling checking options, will be applied.

combo

I'm guessing that only works if you're using Word as your email editor, right?

If so, since I don't use it as my editor I don't think the style would carry over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back