Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook slow to respond to Exchange 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

madhente

Technical User
May 14, 2002
US
When opening Outlook, several clients (but not all) are getting a message saying "Unable to locate Exchange Server". If the option to RETRY is taken, then Outlook finds the Exchange Server with no problem. A few others don't receive the message, but it can take as long as 30 seconds for Exchange to respond. It doesn't seem to matter which OS is on the client. I think DNS is working, so I can't explain the inconsistency.

Overview:
Recently upgraded from NT4.0 to W2K Server on four servers. Also upgraded from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange2000. Got most of the kinks worked out, but this one is bothering me.

SKHEXCH: Master Domain Controller,AD,Exchange2000,DNS,WINS
SKHSQL: Domain Controller,AD,SQL,NAVconsole,Backupexec
SKHPROXY: ISA,WINS
SKHWEB: WEBSERVER
Clients: W95,W98,W2K,[flush]XP home

Thanks in advance for any help.
>:-< MADHENTE

Suonds like a DNS issue for sure, check and duplicate the client side dns settings on the machines that outlook isnt having any problems with. 01110000

I tried this. DNS settings on the client side had no impact on the problem.
I had a similar problem on other segments of the network and that was solved by enabling DNS on the clients, but this problem only exists at the same segment as the Exchange Server and DNS settings don't help.
Got anything else?

Plug a computer that doesn't have this problem into the network cable of a computer that is having trouble. This will tell you if there is lag on the network connection.

fluid,
I tried playing musical chairs with my client computers, but it doesn't matter which hub or which port I'm plugged into. My download speeds on the same computers are fine. I've ruled out DNS as a cause and I've ruled out physical location on the network.

Thanks,

Madhente,

I've recently migrated mailboxes from Exchange 5.5 to 2000 and I have the same problem. What I did notice is that if I still have my Exchange 5.5 server plugged into the network, I have no problems. Have you tried that? And it is only on certain computers. No dns issues and nothing on Microsofts site. If you get any info, please pass it along. I would love to get rid of the 5.5 server.

Adam

Adam,
Sounds like we're in the same boat. The only difference is you have a paddle and I don't. Exchange5.5 got wiped after the upgrade to Exchange2000. I'll keep digging and post it if I find anything.
Getting tired of hearing, &quot;What's wrong with my mail, can't you fix it?&quot;
Enduser>[hammer]

Thanks to all.

Im having the same problem, I still have my old 5.5 server and it makes no difference whether it is still plugged into the network or not.I only seem to be having the issue on my 97 computers, 2000 workstations and XP workstations are fine.

Check out your LDAP servers. I had to upgrade my domain controllers when I switched to 2000.

Make sure that those machines that are getting the message have only TCP/IP installed and nothing else like IPX/SPX.

There is another way to solve this if the above doesn't work.

Regards,

Don't know if it helps, but here is a comment from the consultant we use that solved a problem with similar symptoms... &quot;I actually ran into a similar issue with a different client. It was not Email, but The issue is caused by a proxy arp situation. When a server has more than one IP bound to it and behind a PIX firewall, the PIX gets confused when to use what IP address. It also has to do with an alias command on the PIX.&quot;

Easy!!!! Your binding order by default is set to tci_ip as being the last protocol to use when contacting the exchange server. Try the following:

Q. The Outlook/Exchange client takes a long time to start.

Sometimes the protocol binding for Exchange can be wrong if more than one protocol is installed, for example if you have NetBEUI and TCP/IP installed, and you connect to the Exchange server via TCP/IP, you need to ensure TCP/IP is first in the binding order, otherwise Exchange will attempt to communicate via NetBEUI initially.

Here are the steps to perform on the Exchange Clients that are haven this problem:

Start the registry editor (regedit.exe)

Move to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Exchange\Exchange Provider

In the right hand pane, double click Rpc_Binding_Order
A dialog box will be shown containing a text string of the installed protocols separated by commas. You can move items, for example, you may want to move ncacn_ip_tcp (TCP/IP) to the front if you connect over TCP/IP. Make sure you keep them separated by commas!
Click OK
Close the registry editor
Stop and start Exchange/Outlook
that receive the RETRY ERROR>

Peace. Notorious1963

We ran into this problem but only on pre-2000 computers. We solved it through the use of an lmhost file entry on the clients for the new exchange server.

I saw mention of the 5.5 server still running and not being able to remove it. I ran into some trouble when we removed out Exchange 5.5 server because the 2000 server thought it was still there. It didn't slow down email but stopped it altogether. We removed the ADC from the 2000 server and it fixed the problem. Don't know if this helps but there it is.

I've recently migrated mailboxes from Exchange 5.5 to 2000. All users running Win 2000 with outlook 2002 work fine. Users running NT 4.0 with outlook 2000 are very slow to load. I did notice that if I still have my Exchange 5.5 server plugged into the network, I have no problems. No dns issues and nothing on Microsofts site. If you get any info, please pass it along. I would love to get rid of the 5.5 server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back