Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

outlook set up on my home laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtevensorrison

Technical User
Feb 22, 2006
GB
Hello there

i have just purchased a new toshiba laptop, i am looking to link it to my microsoft outlook 2003 account i use in work each day.

I do not have office installed on this machine, although there seems to be a version of outlook already installed on the laptop

Will i be able to access my work account using a virtual private network,using the outlook which is alredy installed on the new laptop or will i have to install office?

Can someone please give some assistance with thiS PROBLEM

Thank you in advance!!!!

Most new laptops/desktops come with a trial 60 day version of Office 2k3. Keep in mind if you setup this office it will probably only work for 60 days.

Do you have a VPN or a secure connection to work?
Do you use Active Directory at work?
Do you know your Mail Server name?

If it's the full version of Outlook, then you should be able to use it over a VPN. If you don't have a VPN, you could setup RPC over HTTPS and do it that way.

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

Does your new Toshiba have XP Pro or XP Home? Also, you say that there is some version of Outlook on the laptop at home. That version of Outlook most likely will be Outlook Express if it's XP Home and that is Not compatible with Outlook 2003.

Good Luck.
Gene

Thanks for the prompt replys!!

I have a vpn setup that allows me access to my workplace network!

i also know my office's mail server name!

I have never heard of active directory so i dont think we use this!

The laptop came with xp home installed on it - so i take it the version of outlook is express!

just wondering what my best solution to this is?

should i set up my outlook account on one of the servers and use a vpn with a remote desktop connection to gain access?

or should i install office with outlook 2003 and only use the vpn?

Thanks for all your help people

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back