Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook recreating rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

licarse

IS-IT--Management
Sep 22, 2005
US
Hi,

One of my users has a strange problem. All of the sudden, Outlook started to duplicate emails. I thought it was a problem with rules, and it was: I deleted the rules and it was supposedly solved. However, later in the same day, one rule appeared again. The user alledges she didn't do it. So I deleted the rule. Today, I had a look at her PC and the rule was created again. However, I've noticed that everytime I delete the rule, the rule appears again, but changes de destination folder where it wants to move messages. In this later case, the folder doesn't even exist in her mailbox or personal folders. I was wondering if this was a virus, but I haven't yet heard of one with that behaviour. I ran some scans and the PC seems to be free of viruses... I even ran scans with different tools (like combofix) to no avail. I'm not able to get a hijack log right now, but I wanted to post this thread first, just to get some ideas of what may be going on.

This may not be on her computer at all. If it is a rule issue, this could very well be the Exchange server that is having this problems. Almost sounds like the Exchange server is not accepting the changes to the user's email account. This also may point out an Exchange database issue. Are any other users having issues? Is it just this one user? What exactly does Outlook connect to?

Even if it is a database issue, it is really strange that only one rule is recreated after being deleted (the other rules that were deleted, weren't recreated). Answering your questions:

1. Only this user is having issues.
2. Outlook connects to Exchange 2003, to a single mailbox, there are no additional accounts involved.

Even if it is a database issue, it is really strange that only one rule is recreated after being deleted
Not if its the only server side rule involved.

Have you tried recreating the user's Outlook profile?

Cheers.

The first time it did it, it recreated two rules, that's why it seemed strange to me.

I haven't recreated the profile yet, I want to keep that solution as my last resource. Besides, if it's something with the database, I think that recreating the profile won't help... right?

Recreating the profile may help if its a case of the database somehow still having a hook into the rules.

However, before you recreate the profile try using the /cleanrules switch. That will clear both server and client side rules. Assuming Outlook 2003 go Start ->Run and in the run box type: Outlook.exe /cleanrules. All the switches are listed in this MS article. The article also includes links to other version in case you're not using OL2K3.

Cheers.

I used the switch but it didn't work, the rule appeared again today. Let's say that the database has a hook into the rules. Why then, when the rule is recreated, it changes to another folder? I mean, the rule always checks for arriving messages and redirects them to one folder, either Tasks, Deleted Items, etc... (it changes every time I delete it).

Oops, I'm sorry. I missed the bit about it going to a different destination folder each time.

You may need to recreate the profile and/or the mailbox.

Cheers.

If there's no other solution... I'll have to :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back