Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook "To:" autofills old email address 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

suncity

Technical User
Jan 11, 2005
US
How can I get rid of old email addresses in the autofill address feature on To:, CC:, etc?
I put new address in Contacts, and it comes up as additional address on To: - but I'd really like to get rid of it altogether.
Old stuff must be stored somewhere for email address autofill to do its thing.

Thanx

There's really no good solution if you just want to get rid of some of the stored names as opposed to all. If you want to get rid of all, delete the .NK2 file associated with the user's outlook profile (found under the user's login profile directory). If you just want to get rid of some old addresses, you'd have to start typing in the name until a drop down list appeared. Then "down arrow" to highlight the name you don't want and hit Delete.

The "delete from dropdown" did the trick.
Too obvious ... [dopeslap up side the head]
Thanks

When I've tried deleting old email addresses from the dropdown they always come back after a reboot. Anyone have any solutions for this?

Thanks to everyone on and at Tek-Tips for helping each other!

They shouldn't come back, but you can always delete the nickname cache as mentioned above (if using Outlook 2002+) or this for earlier versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back