Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

outlook quick click categories not working 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffmoss26

Technical User
May 7, 2002
US
We use quick click categories (colors) through our public folders in Outlook. One of my users is unable to see when someone else marks an email a particular color/category.
I attempted to run outlook.exe /cleanviews and all that did was mark the messages as unread.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

jeff moss

Some questions I think may need to be answered to help determine the solution:
[ol 1]
[li]All running same version of Windows?[/li]
[li]Are the versions of Outlook the same?[/li]
[li]What version of Outlook(s)?[/li]
[li]Does the same user with same login have same issues on a different machine?[/li]
[li]Does a different user with a different login have the same issues on the same machine?[/li]
[li]Does the user have any add-ins that other users do not have for Outlook?[/li]
[/ol]

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

1. yes
2. yes
3. 2007
4/5 have not tried
6. no, there are no add-ins.

I also checked the permissions on the Public Folder and they are correct.

jeff moss

One of my users is unable to see when someone else marks an email a particular color/category.

And... Is this just ONE specific color/category on emails from ONE person, or is this ANY color/category and/or from ANY person? Reason I ask is: I wonder if someone creates their own custom category, if that would then carry forward on the email to others if they do not have access to the sender's Outlook settings directly?.. I don't know as I've never bothered to test with anyone.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

This is a public folder with multiple colors/categories that multiple users work from.

jeff moss

Boy howdy, sounds like you've got a real ghost of a problem on your hands... Have you tried:
1. Rolling back updates, reinstalling office?
2. Office Repair
3. Verifying the problem user machine has same updates/patches in place as others? No more, no less? For both Windows and Office?

Also wondering, never dealt with the specific issue, so it's just a guess based on other issues in other similar applications. What about trying a new Personal / Outlook folders file (pst)? Or clearing out all user-specific accounts/cache, and reloading that way? I have seen times where replacing the user's main email data file fixed the issue. If that did work, you could then reimport the actual content (mail/contact/calendar) items from the old/backup file to the new. And if that fixes it, I suppose it could be some odd data corruption that didn't show itself in any real visible way.

We got it figured out. The user has to arrange their messages by categories, and then they can see everything!

jeff moss

Seems crazy has to be that way, but glad it worked out in the end. [smile]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back