Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook Question Multiple Email Accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

grippy

Programmer
Dec 2, 2004
US
Hi I currently have multiple Data files setup in my oulook 2003 so that it shows like 5 differnet inbox's for my different email accounts all in the same profile. My only problem is I cant get my new emails to go to the correct sections. Looks like in outlook it only has 1 default delivery location. Is there anyway i can specify each email address to deliver to each separate data file? I want to do this without adding multiple profiles. Let me know if this is possible. Thanks

I wouldnt even know where to go to make a rule care to explain? Thanks

Here is what you do: Go to tool -> Rules Wizard. (I am using outlook 2000, which may be a little different). In this wizard, you can select how you want the new mail message treated. You have it automatically move to a different folder than the inbox, be deleted, etc. It works great once you get it set up. There are a number of steps involved and sometimes I have had to go back and tweak it here and there. I hope this helps.

Here's a plan for 2003, works for me.

Click on: Tools - Rules & Alerts - New Rule - Check the 'Start from a blank rule' box - Next.

In Step 1- scroll down the list and check the 'with specific words in the recipient's address' box.
In Step 2- click on 'specific words' and add part of the first email address you want to set up.(the domain part of the address is best.. for me I used 'btinternet'). Then click on 'specified' and select the subfolder you created in your Inbox. (this was 'btmail' in my case).
Once you have done this click finish and Apply the rule.

Mail will now come in for each address and be directed into the appropriate Inbox subfolder.

Hope this helps?

Now my only questions is if I do this and say I setup 3 inbox's for 3 emails. If I got to inbox 2 and click reply on one of the emails will it automatically reply from my inbox 2 email address or is it going to have that drop down that lets me select where I send the email from? I cant stand that drop down and thats what Im trying to avoid. Thanks

No, you will still need to use the drop-down list to choose the correct 'from' address. The only way to avoid that is to use a different Outlook profile for each account.

I have two email accounts being picked up through Outlook 2003. I have rules set up to direct them to 'Inbox' subfolders 'bt' and '123'. Whichever box I reply from, that email carries the related address despite the fact that the '123' account is set as the default account.
I have tested this this afternoon just to be sure.
Hope this helps.

Thank you Aich this gives me hope. When i get time to mess with this I will test it out and see if I can get it to work as well. If not I will ask you for more info how exactly you have it setup. Thanks

No problem Grippy. Happy to help you set up if you need it.
Good luck.

Hey i finally got around to reformating my computer so I setup outlook the way you stated earlier and it works great. My only problems are that I dont know how to make the rules run everytime I hit send and recieve, and I dont know how to setup a rule that separates my sent items. I created separate sent items sub folders but I dont see a rule that searches in the senders address. I only see the recipents address. Let me know if you can help. Thanks

ok nevermind i figured that stuff all out but i cant figure this one out. When I get junk mail, outlook knows its junk mail but the rules I setup over rule the junk mail rule so it just put the junk mail in my regular inboxes. Is there a way around this? I couldnt find a junk mail option in the exceptions? Thanks

I'm looking into this one. It may be a case of having to teach the Junk Mail Filter what's what. With the rules taking priority you may have to manually set what mail is junk by right clicking etc. A tricky task with so much new spam daily though. I'll get back to you on this one if I find the answer.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back