Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook.pst; referencing a different one 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sensoukami

Technical User
Feb 25, 2003
CA
Hey.

I run a dual-boot system. So, Outlook has limited utility because the Outlook.pst file is stored in Documents & Settings on both systems. So, I have to synch them manually, which considering that I am lazy is an issue.

I would like to alter Outlook to read the .pst file from a different location (on my data drive for example), and then have both Outlooks reference that one location.

I tried modifying the registry, but it constantly resets itself back to the original.

Does anyone have anyother ideas? I am thinking about building a DOS batch file to find the most recent .pst and then overwrite the others. Or I was thinking of exploring some VB.NET and make a little .exe to do the same thing.

Any advice? Thanks.

Move the .pst file when Outlook isn't looking.

With Outlook off, manually move (Not copy) the .pst file to the location of you choice.

Now when you start Outlook, it will error saying it cannot find the current client, would you like to open the default client.

Answer no and browse to the .pst files new location. This will lock Outlook to that location.

I know thw exact syntax of Outlook's error message is a little off because I haven't had to relocate a .pst file for some time, but I am 100% sure that this method works.

For your second log-in, just delete the .pst file and browse to the "now-shared" file.

*Remember.......
If you don't use your head,
your going to have to use your feet.

GREAT! That helps a lot, thanks.

Next problem then...

When I fire up Outlook, it starts at 'Outlook today' no problem. But, once I navigate away from that, when I go back I get the error "Unable to display folder. Folder no longer exists"

I shut down and reopen Outlook, and there is my 'today' view until I move away again...rinse and repeat.

Why is it doing this, and how do I stop if from doing so ("Outlook Today" is kind of handy after all...)

Let me rephrase the problem....

When I click on the Outlook Today button on the top left, I get the error message.

Yet, by using either View-Outlook Today, or Folder List-Outlook Today, it works no problem.

It is only the shortcut on the top left...

Get rid of the shortcut and make a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back