Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook process keeps running after closing

Status
Not open for further replies.

flapeyre

Programmer
Nov 22, 2002
US
I have a Dell Dimension 4550 upon which I have XP (with all the MS updates), and Office XP for Sudents and Teachers (with all the Office updates).

Scandisk found a lost cluster and fixed it, but ever since, when I shut down Outlook, and try to restart it, it won't come up. Task Manager reveals two OUTLOOK.EXE processes in the background. If I get rid of the backgound tasks, and run Outlook again, it comes up in safe mode.

I have tried a repair of Office, and of XP, to no avail. Am I missing something?

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your eyes turned skyward, for here you have been, and there you will always long to return."

--Leonardo da Vinci

Find Fast may be your problem. If it is running it allows many instances of outlook to run. Uninstall find fast and the problem will disappear. P.S. hope you can keep find fast off your computer it keep coming up from time to time without my installing it!!!!!!!!! Dan1mel Good luck!!!!!!

The problem has become more and more intermittent. I changed a mail account at about the same time as this problem appeared, so we'll see if changing the settings back fixed the problem. So far, so good.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your eyes turned skyward, for here you have been, and there you will always long to return."

--Leonardo da Vinci

An update.

I still have not been able to find oyt why Outlook hangs on, but I did come up with a workaround:

Create a shortcut with the following command:

%windir%\System32\taskkill.exe /F /IM OUTLOOK.EXE

Start in directory: %windir%. Set to Run Minimized.

Whenever you close Outlook, also run this shortcut (I called it "Kill Outlook", and it will be removed from memory.

--Leonardo da Vinci

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back