Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

swinny1710

Technical User
May 30, 2003
CA
Hi;
I have a recurring problem with MS Outlook. When trying to start the program, the Outlook screen will come up, and then just hang. In the past it would eventually load up, (after up to 20-30min, sometimes), but today it simply won't start.
I've scanned for viruses, and done regular maintenance. It will happen sometimes when a large e-mail is loading, but don't think it's the case today. (cleared the server)
Anyone else have this problem or know what might be causing it? Better yet, how to fix it?
Cheers, and thanks for all the help this form provides!!
Pat

How big is your outlook.pst file? I believe there is a limit on its size and over that the program becomes unstable.

Funny you should mention that. I was reading another thread the other day, and was wondering if mine might be too big. I do manage my e-mails. Here is whatI found, but not sure what to do.
In the folder I have "Archive.pst (which is 816kb) and "Outlook.pst (which is 15.0MB). What do I do now? Are these my e-mails, since I didn't think I had too many? It won't let me delete them either. 15 mb sounds pretty big though from what I remember from the other thread.
Just jumping ahead though, if they are my stored e-mails, how would I delete them if I can't get into the program to delete them?
Thanks for the advide !

Pat

I don't think those values are large. My Outlook.pst file is 40 mb (I Archive on a regular basis - my Archive.pst file is 188Mb), and I don't have the problem you have. Have you tried the MS Office website? Perhaps there is something in the FAQ's?

Outlook (we are talking Outlook, not Outlook Express, I assume?) is a part of the Office suite. Have you tried Help/Detect & Repair in Outlook? Difficult to do if you can't get into Outlook, I guess.

How about an uninstall/reinstall of Outlook, using the original Office CD, which I assume you have? Your .pst files which are in C:\Windows\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook -at least they are in Win 98 SE- would not be harmed by the uninstall/reinstall, I believe.

I am sure there is someone out there with some other ideas?

Thanks;
I re-read some of the threads regarding archive size and realize that 15mb isn't big. They're talking 2 gigs. Thanks for the tips, I'll try the repair now. As I said, if it's (Outlook - not express) left long enough, it eventually opens, which it did. I find it is with certain e-mails, but not sure which ones in particular.
Thanks again for you suggestions and help.
Cheers!

Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back