Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook over VPN fails

Status
Not open for further replies.

translux

IS-IT--Management
Jun 28, 2001
US
Hello
I’ve been trying for months to get Outlook 2000 or 2002 on Win2k boxes to work with Exchange 2000 over a broadband to broadband VPN. The VPN is solid as I can see the shares that I have established and can resolve the mail server in Outlook. I keep getting “ Your Microsoft Exchanger Server is Unavailable” and “ the Information store could not be opened”.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Eric

Sounds like an RPC problem. Use the utility rpcping on the Exchange CD. Should be a KB article on how to use it. Not all routers will pass RPC traffic. Also look for article about TCP ports and Exchange. You may need to statically map some ports.

Try placing a lmhost entry pointing to the IP address for your exchange server

I have also had a problem getting into to open exchange through NT RAS. I have no DNS Server internally and rely on LMHosts files for resolving addresses, how ever i have found that if i log onto my computer with no form of active network connection (Ethernet or Dialup) the lmhosts file does not create the routing cache. I do not claim to be an expert on TCP/IP, but if i connect to the authenticating server then run the NBTSTAT -R prior to loading Outlook i get a successful connection everytime. I have used this method sucessfully for serveral mobile users using NT RAS. I cannot vouch for its success using VPN but it may be worth a try.

I had a simular problem. I used he VPN client's MTU utility to reduce the packet size to 1400. Now it works perfect every time.

Have the same prolem here, the strange thing is , we have 2 exchange servers, and from one domain over VPN I can open the others calendars, but from the other domain over the VPN , it doesn't work! All the rights are the same, so I don't have a clue anymore?
Did you have a solution that worked?
let me know if possible on koendeheldt@NOSPAM.footonline.be

Just an update
The solution was really very simple and a silly mistake on my part.
lirwin suggestion of mapping the private IP address was it.
I just searched for my hosts file and added an entry.
It now works fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back