Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook outbox

Status
Not open for further replies.

djbourne

Technical User
May 1, 2003
GB
I have exchange 2003sp2 on Windows Server 2003. Users have Windows XPsp3 and Outlook 2003sp3.

I have a user who when he reaches his mailbox limit and tries to send he recieves a bounce back rather than the email sitting in his outbox. All other uses in this situation the email will not send and will sit in the outbox.

The user recently got a new machine. Any ideas? Is this just a setting I have missed?

This is normal. When the mailbox quota is reached the Exchange system bounces back the e-mail. Outlook does not just hold the e-mails as that's not its intended purpose (unless there is no connectivity). It just keep processing e-mails.

Best bet, read the NDR from the bounce. It probably says the the user has reached his limit.

The user had best take steps to archive/clean his mailbox, otherwise when they exceed the upper limit of the quota, they lose send AND receive privilege which is a bad thing in the corporate e-mail world.

As for why your other users have their e-mails held, I'm not sure. I've never encountered that particular situation. Outlook is usually pretty blind to the quota limitation on the exchange server.

Ken

"cckens is a nick... why the H-E- double-hockey-sticks am I using a nick for a name? Am I afraid of who I am?"
-me
"...don't know why, but I think of chickens when I see that nick...maybe even choking chickens???"
-Tony (wahnula)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back