Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook Out of Office Assistant not working for external people

Status
Not open for further replies.

icodeit

Programmer
Dec 21, 2007
US
My "Out of Office" messages only get sent to internal co-workers who are on the same Exchange server as me. I have had external people using Hotmail, Yahoo, Gmail, and misc. company email accounts send me email but they never receive my "Out of Office" messages.

I asked our Exchange admin about this and he said this was happening because all the external people's email servers where blocking "Out of Office" messages.

It this true or our is our Exchange server not configured correctly?

You Exchange admin needs to configure the Exchange server to allow Out of Office replies to the Internet. He may not do it though, because of spam concerns. If a spammer gets and Out of Office response that only confirms the email address.

Even if your Exchange admin won't allow it, that's no reason for him to tell you that all the external servers were blocking "Out of Office" messages. I regularly get Out of Office replies to my Hotmail, GMail, email.com, and mail.com accounts as well as to my Shaw (Canadian ISP) account.

Cheers.

Thank you for the information.

I didn't think something sounded right. Because I have gotten "Out of Office" messages to my Gmail account before. Looks like our Exchange admin does not know what he is talking about!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back