Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook on Peer-to-peer Network 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

riegelkurt

Instructor
Jan 20, 2001
US
I have 2 Win98 machines connected by crossover cable for peer-to-peer network. Works fine for file sharing & web browsing through single cable modem / single IP address.

Outlook e-mail runs fine on the machine connected to the cable modem, but does not work on the other machine. How does one set up Outlook on the other peer so that both machines can send/receive e-mail using Outlook?

I have been trying to find an answer to a similar question. IE can Outlook be used to allow users on different PCs on a network (even peer to peer) without MS Exchange.

For small (and even large) groups of users I have had alot of success with OfficeTalk ( It works with MS SQL, Sqlanywhere and Jet databases and ever on peer to peer networks "out of the box".

However I have a client who "wants to stick with microsoft" but the size does n't justify the overhead of an Exchange Server and all that admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back