Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook MSG file data question

Status
Not open for further replies.

f1car

Technical User
Apr 2, 2001
US
Hi all,

I have a folder of 1000's of outlook .MSG files and I need to continually search through them as a cheap DB of sorts, for new ones are added and removed.

Does anyone know how to open a .MSG file and read through it? I thought it would be a simple ASCII TAG file of sorts, but I wrong.

I guess a link would be great.

Thanks guys/gals.

If you are merely wanting to read the text of the e-mail message, then you would be able to do so because the message itself is in plain text. Sure, there is a bunch of goobldygok along with it, but open one in Notepad and scroll down, you will see the message. You can use the INStr() function, along with other string manipulation functions (MID(), TRIM(), etc), to parse out the text that you are looking for. Hope this helps...

LF

"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain; as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality."--Albert Einstein

Dim objOutlook As Outlook.Application
Dim objOutlookMsg As Outlook.MailItem

Set objOutlook = New Outlook.Application
Set objOutlookMsg = objOutlook.CreateItemFromTemplate(<FilePath>)

You can access all of the properties of the .msg file from the objOutlookMsg object.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back