Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook + MRU rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angelis26

Technical User
Nov 19, 2003
GB
Hi,

Does anyone know how the MRU list is organised?
By this I mean is there a time span or any rules that can be changed (in the registry) so that I can state that only these people are to be included?

Basically if I send 20 emails to john smith over 3 months, and send 3 (over 3 months) emails to John Doe, why is John Doe at the top of the list even though I send more emails to John Smith?

please help if you have any information on how the MRU rules apply.

Thanks

It is called the nickname cache & there are version differences in how the files are stored. For Outlook XP (2002) & 2003 the nickname cache is stored as a *.nk2 file. If you delete the file, the cache is entirely deleted. You can also selectively delete by just pressing the delete key when the appropriate name is highlighted. As far as how they are orderd - my guess is that it's either in the order that they were added or alphabetically ascending, but I'm not sure.

Smah,

thanks for your reply. I use outlook 2003 (part of office 2003 professional). Where is the cache file located?

I have checked a lot of sites and no one has posted anything about the mru besides how to clear it.

my local ms tech support were not helpful as they did not know and advised that they can not help either.

Below are some links you may find useful. There is very little that can be done with it besides clear it. The only other thing that can be done is to limit the number it contains. I suspect that if you set it to a very small number, that they will roll in & out in a First In, First Out manner.

Summary of Nickname Features in Different Versions of Outlook MSKB Article 245421

How to reset the nickname and the automatic completion caches in Outlook MSKB Article 287623

OL2002: NK2 File Does Not Change Size After You Reduce the Number of Names in the Nickname Cache MSKB Article 293032

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back