Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook moving graphic along top of email message

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTGeek88

Programmer
Nov 4, 2003
US
I Googled this, but didn't expect to find anything because I have no idea how to describe it. Here's the question: When I open an Outlook 2010 email in its own window and then I right-click a picture to download the images, a graphic appears between the message and the toolbars. It looks kind of like a progress bar and has a red gradient image moving left to right across the window. It's really annoying. I thinking maybe it indicates that the email has been changed - I downloaded the images - but not saved. I'm not sure, though. And I'm wondering why it has to be so annoying. Isn't a "do you want to save" dialog when closing the window good enough? But maybe it means something else entirely. Regardless of what it is there for, I'm hoping there is a way to get rid of it. So if anyone could tell me what it signifies and how to get rid of the thing, I'd be appreciative.

Trying to access something? Well, it starts right after I select Download Pictures and then does not stop, even after the pictures are downloaded. I've never seen it stop even after a message has been open for quite a while. Only closing the email message and reopening it will stop it. So I'm doubtful about what you're saying. I just think it's poor programming and a bad, irritating interface from Microsoft.

And the fact that I've never seen it stop a single time in the months that I've used Outlook 2010 means nothing? Every single email with graphics - quite a lot - can't find some graphic and keeps trying to download it? Maybe they just screwed up and can't get it turned off properly.

What anti-virus are you using? It can be an indication of your anti-virus scanning your e-mail message, including images and attachments. The problem may be with your anti-virus software. Kaspersky produces the same "moving graphic" but it does stop after it's finished scanning the message and items being downloaded.

Hope this helps.

Please help us help you. Read Tek-Tips posting polices before posting.
Canadian members check out Tek-Tips in Canada for socializing, networking, and anything non-technical.

Kaspersky causes a graphic to appear in the Outlook Email message window? I can see it showing its own graphic, but not necessarily causing Outlook to start showing a graphic (not that it couldn't). I don't know . . . none of these seem like good answers since I have never, ever seen this graphic go away once it starts. But, to answer your question, I use Norton Internet Security 2011.

Right now I have two email messages open, one from Buy.com and one from Amazon.com. They are both displaying the graphic, but seem to have successfully downloaded the pictures. I can't see one of the placeholder graphic images anywhere. They have all been replaced with the downloaded image. Yet neither one of them has stopped displaying the moving graphic and it's been over a minute. I know that I could leave them open for 5 minutes or 5 hours and Outlook would still not get rid of that graphic.

I have 2010 and it functions normally on all the machines Ive installed it on in the plant. The red bar graphic does appear when downloading the images but quits quickly after.

What all add-ins do you have running with Outlook? Does Norton install a add-in? I would start by disabling all add-ins and see if that makes a difference.

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver...

As everyone has said it means that Outlook is communicating with something.

In your instance it may be communicating with whatever is your default graphics application to create the preview of the images.

Turn OFF the preview pane and it should go away.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

I'm not using the preview pane. This is when I open an email message in its own window.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back