Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook Mail Profile Creation

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheStressFactor

IS-IT--Management
Sep 24, 2002
US
Hello all,

One if the biggest headaches we have is that whenever a new users starts or someone goes to another computer and logs in, we need to walk over and set-up there outlook mail profile or walk them through it on the phone.

I know there are third party software such as scriptlogic that can do this but we would like to stay away from that.

Is it possible to script using vbs and gpo something that automatically creates the mail profile for the user without any intervention?

If you deploy office using the Office Resource Kit, the transform that you build can specify a default Exchange server and %username% to fill out the outlook profile wizard automatically.

You don't have to completely re-deploy office to fix your existing systems. The ORK can create a file that will modify the existing installation.

PSC

Governments and corporations need people like you and me. We are samurai. The keyboard cowboys. And all those other people out there who have no idea what's going on are the cattle. Mooo! --Mr. The Plague, from the movie "Hackers

Script it with a logon script. If you do not know how to do this, let me know and I will see about getting you one.

Steven Parent [MSFT]

I am about to deploy one.
It seems to work fine. I only run it for users in an Exchange Account AD group. Is there a tool anyone knows that I can run off a shared drive during the login script that will check for the existence of a mailbox?

ECHO Checking for Outlook...
REG QUERY HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook /v OutlookName

If key exists....
ECHO Outlook is already installed.

Else....
z:\MaintWiz.exe /c %OL_TRANSFORMFILE% /qb-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back