Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

outlook is trying to retrieve data...message bubble (Outlook 2003)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanjiv123

Technical User
Apr 30, 2002
GB
Hi,

A lot of users have been complaining about a message bubble that appears from within the task bar from the Outlook application. The message is ...

"outlook is trying to retrieve data from the microsoft exchange server exchange_server_name.domain"

(where exchange_server_name.domain is the FQDN of our exchange server)

I thought it was due to delays on the network or the individual's mailbox size, but it comes and goes at random for different users and can be quite annoying, because it locks up Outlook until the message clears which can be 3-60 seconds.

Is anyone else experiencing this or have any ideas on how to fix this ?

Would appreciate any help.

Network bandwidth is the most likely cause. If you are running Outlook 2003 you can change the users over to "Cached Exchange Mode" to try and alleviate the problem.

Peter

I am using "Cached Exchange Mode" and I am still getting this popup.

Any other suggestions?

Sidney

Peter - Thanks for the KB link. I will have a look at it to see if it helps resolve the issue.

Sidney - If you find a solution, please please let us know. I will post any progress too.

Thanks.

One thing I discovered is that if your exchange server is also a domain controller, you may have some bandwidth being reserved for active directory. I had the same problem and ran the reg in this article and it solved the problem. Look for TCPDELACKTICKS in Google, too.

Another thing you might look at is disabling QOS on the client side. There is a very specific and undisclosed procedure for disabling this in group policy for all XP clients. Make sure XP clients are at SP2. If that doesn't change things, Try this:

1)Open local group policy editor (gpedit.msc)
2)navigate to computer config,administrative templates, network, QOS packet scheduler
3)Open the entry for "limit reservable bandwidth"
4)Select ENABLE and enter 0 for the bandwidth.

Hi Fliboi,

Thanks for your input on this issue. When you added the registry entry TCPDELACKTICKS to the adapter on your server, what value did you set it at - 2 or 0 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back