Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook Inbox on two saperate machines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 23, 2005
US
Hi,
We have just did the upgrade from Office 2000 to Office XP. I have outlook running during day time on one machine and receive all the email during that day. At night before I leave I close the outlook and open the outlook on my second machine which calling the same pst file. Now on that machine I receive all the email again which I already received before on my other machine. Same thing happen in the morning again when I close the outlook on the machine that run overnight and open outlook on my machine that run during day time. I will receive all the email that came at night after I close the outlook before I leave for the day. In another words, I will have duplicate email in my inbox all the time since I have outlook on two different machines. It wasn't doing like this when we were on office 2000.
Did anyone out there, they face this kind of problem and know the solution for this?
Thanks in advance.

That's as clear as mud.

Are you connecting to an Exchange server for your mail or are you talking about POP3 in box?

Is one computer at home and the other at work and you are connecting to a POP3 box on the same ISP?

Do you have the 'leave email on server' option checked on one or both of the computers?

Regards: tf1

Try going (in Outlook) to Tools/E-Mail accounts, select "View or change existing e-mail accounts", select the account you are dealing with, click on Change..., click on More Settings ..., click on Advanced tab, then near the bottom of the form, make sure that "Leave a copy of messages on the server" is NOT checked. That way, the copy of the message would already be gone before the next machine could have it downloaded again. The only other way I could think to do this, is to have a second input be used for the second machine.

Thanks for the reply. I do have "Leave a copy of messages on the server" checked (so I can check the email from home), which I had it checked before also when we were on Office 2000 and it wasn't downloading again. I can uncheck that but then I won't be able to check email from home.
Is there any other way to get around this situation?

Because you are using two separate computers to receive your messages into the same pst file. You can setup your computer (therefore Outlook) at home to move all your incoming messages into a different inbox. You will still be getting two copies of all your messages, but they will be in two different inboxes, therefore you will not see duplicates.
Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back