Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook freak out problem - NT4 domain,Exchange

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jalapeno

MIS
Nov 12, 2001
US
Ok, this is an odd one and hard to explain so bear with me.

We have several users that are in workgroups and other domains that need access to our exchange server. They've been using Outlook and just have to type in a valid username, domain, and password. It had been working fine. All until one day we decided to patch our exchange server (win2k) with the latest security patches. When the exchange server was rebooted, the users in workgroups could no longer get email. After looking through the logs it was discovered that the clients were passing the local user and machine information instead of the domain information typed into outlook. Well, obviously, we thought we had a problem with the patches. Once we removed all of them and reinstalled SP4, it started working again. Of course, now we had a production exchange server with absolutely no security holes filled in. Everytime we tried to install security patches and reboot, it would stop working again. Well, at this point, I thought I had a bad Exchange server, corrupt registry or something. I built a temporary pdc and built a new exchange server in a offline network. I patched it with the latest security patches and tested it with a machine that was in a workgroup. Outlook worked. So I swapped exchange servers. I tested with a machine in a workgroup, DID NOT WORK!! AHHHH! Anyways, I decided to go to extremes and powered off the PDC...rebooted exchange and it machines in a workgroup started working again. Ok, bad PDC...so I promoted the BDC, turned off the old pdc, and tested with a machine in a workgroup, still worked. I then built a new BDC, brought it online, got WINS set up, all that stuff. Tested with a workgroup machine, DID NOT WORK AGAIN!! I powered off the new BDC and it started working again.

I've left the BDC off so that people can work. I'm pretty confused on what this could be. I'm pretty sure the problem does lie in our domain controllers but I'm not sure where to look. I don't see any errors in the logs that really point me in the right direction. Here is some more info:

(the old pdc is not listed, the promoted pdc now has the ip address of the old pdc)
PDC
WINS
DHCP

BDC (local) (turned off for now)
WINS

BDC (remote)
WINS

WINS on the bdc's push/pull to the pdc

Exchange

Everything pings everything else ok, no other problems that I'm aware of. We do not use any lmhost or host files.

Here is what the Exchange server logs say when someone logs in with a machine in a workgroup, when everything is working properly:

Successful Network Logon:
User Name: temp
Domain: DOMAIN
Logon ID: (0x0,0x44B2F)
Logon Type: 3
Logon Process: NtLmSsp
Authentication Package: NTLM
Workstation Name: temppc

Here is what the Exchange server logs when someone tries to log into Outlook with a machine in a workgroup. As you can see, it reports back the login for the machine, rather than the login for Outlook:

The logon to account: administrator
by: MICROSOFT_AUTHENTICATION_PACKAGE_V1_0
from workstation: temppc
failed. The error code was: 3221225572

Logon Failure:
Reason: Unknown user name or bad password
User Name: administrator
Domain:
Logon Type: 3
Logon Process: NtLmSsp
Authentication Package: NTLM
Workstation Name: temppc

Well, if you've read this far down, I appreciate you taking the time to understand my problem (and it's a doozy) I also, do appreciate suggestions, ideas, and solutions to this. If you have any questions about my setup, please don't hesitate to ask. Thanks for the help!

I just deleted the wins database on my PDC, started up the new BDC, configured WINS replication, and tried it and the machine in a workgroup still didn't work. I had to back out. What was strange was that outlook on the workgroup machine did not work until I rebooted both the pdc and the exchange server twice.

I got some strange stuff going on......

Something to try - I had problems with Win98 clients that I was able to solve by mapping a drive letter to a shared folder on the same domain as the Exchange Server. You can do this in a batch file. eg.

Code:
NET USE h: /DELETE
NET USE h: \\SERVER\SHARE passwd /USER:domain\username

This forces the the OS to authenticate on the domain, and technically, Outlook should then use these credentials - which means the user won't be prompted.

the forum wrapped my reply - there's only two lines in that batch file. If that works, just move the batch file to the user's startup group.

Although, I see where this would work, I need to find out what the root cause is. Some of the users in a workgroup are actually remote, without access to resources within our firewall. The firewall is not the cause however because it breaks inside the firewall as well (even on the same subnet)

Im having the exact same problem on my Exchange 2000 server. Did you ever come to a resoltuion? My users reside in a non trusted domain where my Exchange servers 5.5 and 2k are in the same site. Its only happening to the 2000 exchage users with accounts in my Ad domain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back