Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook for IT jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAXTRAC

Technical User
Sep 25, 2010
US
What is the outlook for new people in the IT field. I came from television engineering and plan on pursuing the A+ and Net+ certifications. Or will I need some other certs to become employed. Thanks.

It depends on your skillset. There is a great deal of demand for certain types of skills, others not so much. If you're just getting started in the industry then you're going to need some sort of experience to get your foot in the door. Sometimes having entry-level certs can help make up for a lack of experience, but only in entry level jobs.

What is it that you want to do in IT as a career?

MCITP:Server Administrator
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator
MCITP:Virtualization Administrator 2008 R2
Certified Quest vWorkspace Administrator

Thanks. Actually, my experience goes back to IBM 360, Fortran, and Hollerith cards. Somehow I got sidetracked into television. (It was easier to get a job in that industry.) I've been taking the practice tests and scoring in the 80-85 percentile range. Someone told me there was a plethora of A+/Net+ people out there that are unemployed.

A+/Net+ are very entry-level certs. With only those certs you're only going to get an entry-level job at best, and in most cases we're talking about jobs that you wouldn't need a cert for if you had a little bit of experience (helpdesk or support center jobs). Though I have several CompTIA certs, in my experience they tend to be worth very little, especially compared to something vendor-specific. I have them only because they sometimes show up as a requirement on contract positions.

The CompTia Certs really only introduced me to the Support industry. I took classes for all of my certs. The classes were self-paced, online courses. The A+ and Network+ were spectacular foundations for the rest of schooling/certifications. Not sure how i would have done in Cisco, had i not taken Network+. A+ did the same, but also gave me some hardware knowledge that i was light on. I would echo the opinions above, in that they help you get in the door as entry-level. I think a person really needs to diversify and go deep. Get a cisco and Microsoft set of certs. It rounds out the individual, shows diversity and the ability to handle multiple things.

Just my suggestions...

Tatertot45
CRCP
Network+
A+

Thanks. I read thru the CCNA book (which is Net+ with a Cisco twist). But how is employment in the industry for new people in this recession environment? Thanks again.

CCNA is **NOT** Network+ with a Cisco twist. Network+ is very much an entry-level networking certification. It provides a decent overview of the fundamentals of networking, but CCNA goes much further in depth in addition to providing Cisco-specific information. Comparing the two (and speaking realistically), Netowrk+ holds almost no weight. CCNA, on the other hand, could easily be a determining factor in getting an internetworking job.

A+ and Net+ can help get you employed. For the most part I think having those gives you a check mark the HR department is looking for.

Start there, get some work experience. Figure out where you wanna go in IT and work from there to get your certs. Being in IT means you should be prepared to always be learning. Since you've taken the time to learn the material, get the cert. There's a good chance you can get an employer to pay for it, and with additional certs you can get better jobs and make more $$

Really though, since you are going MCSA they will give you your elective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back