Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook folder Permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

FUBAR911

MIS
Sep 30, 2002
GB
Hallo,

We have a situation where we need to allow the service desk to change permission on users Outlook folders. I looked at a program by Symprex which will allow you to do this. Only problem is that the account needs to be a domain admin.

Is there a way to allow non-administrators to change permissions on outlook folders without assigning them special permissions? By using a Outlook profile or a program that runs as a service. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Whatever option you choose, whoever you want to give the ability to do this will need the rights.
The simplest and cheapest way (=free) is to give the service desk members full access to everyones mailbox.
This is of course a matter of trust, and if that is your issue, then there is no way you can ever achieve this.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

Unfortunately this is not an option. I was hoping to find a product that runs with a service account or a outlook profile with elevated permission. I understand that some permission has to be changed but assigning full control to the service desk is not an option. If we use a service account the service desk has elevated permission in only that program and not on the exchange enterprise.

That is the point.
An Exchange server is not just some simple program like one you may refer to, it is entirely build around and in AD and of course the Server level permissions.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back