Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook File Size

Status
Not open for further replies.

sathandle

Programmer
Apr 22, 2002
US
What is the maximum file size for a pst file on Microsoft Exchange Server? The client machine is having problems processing the network based pst file which is around 140MB. Is this normal (not the file size, the inability to process the file)? Other than dumping the year's worth of e-mail, what are the options for the user?

Thanks,
sathandle :-(

Well Ms states that pst files cannot exceed 2 gigabytes. I have seen corruption anywhere from 100 megs - 1.5 gigs.

What is the problem the client machine is having? Can the pst be opened but not accessed?

Normally I would run a utility called scanpst.exe which should be on all windows machines. This utility will clear out corrupted data, in other words it will delete any corrupted emails,calendar appointments, etc.

There really is no size limit with .pst files. The biggest I've ever seen is 3gig. It still worked but we had to run repair tool on it nearly every week. Generally my rule of thumb is keep it under 1gig for less corruption problems. It really doesn't matter what size it is for the file to become corrupt but the bigger the pst gets the better the chances of corruption. -Brad
A+, MCSE NT4, MCDBA SQL7

-Best cartoon of all time :-D 'Spongebob Squarepants' :-D

Brad,

That's amazing that you are able to recover it! MS has stated in the past that the inbox repair tool has severe difficulties repairing PST's above 2GB. MS never said PST's can't function above 2GB, just that you run a much higher risk of "permanent" corruption.

I can't recall a time where I was able to repair a PST that was clearly over 2GB (though I have been able to on some that were borderline).

ck_blk@yahoo.com

The PST limit is 2 GB but I would only say that this limit applies if you are storing the folder on the a local drive. If the PST file is stored on a network server then you may start having performace problems when the file gets above 150 MB.

This doesn't mean that you can't have a pst file bigger than this on a network drive (technically it can be up to 2 GB) but rather you are subject to network slowness in Outlook as this file gets bigger that 150 MB. Outlook can better handle 3 pst files at 150 MB each than 1 450 MB file on a network drive. joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

My Outlook will not work. I ran scanpst.exe and found that there are 74 folders and 28,451 items (now I know how dumb that is). The file is 1.2 gig. I tried to "allow upgrade to large tables" but it won't let me. I cannot delete items or move anything because it says ".pst file cannot be accessed". It won't archive folders either. I have "repaired" Office several times. I tried turning off Journal but it couldn't access the .pst file either. However, I can open Outlook and the .pst file. I just can't do much after that. Usually it says Outlook not responding.

I really hate to lose all my files but.... Does anyone know how I can fix this? I just want to archive the folders (so I can still access it if I need to) and then I will start a new personal folder for items going forward.

Have you tried compacting the pst file? You can find it by opening Outlook, tools, services, highlight personal folder, properties, compact now. -Brad
A+, MCSE NT4, MCDBA SQL7

-Best cartoon of all time :-D 'Spongebob Squarepants' [cook]

Yes, I tried compacting yesterday and that screen said that it could not complete one of the options selected. The other option it couldn't do was the allow large tables. I just tried again and when I open outlook it freezes and says the program is not responding.

This all started last week. I think I double clicked on Outlook and it tried to open it twice and then it said it could not find the file. When I tried to open the pst file it said it couldn't find it. Finally, I went to Norton protected files and recovered some file and then it could open the pst file. I don't know if I should have recovered something else too but it is all gone now. Anyway, I have had problems ever since.

Any more suggestions?

Are you using Outlook with an Exchange server or just internet mail?

When you ran scanpst did it say there were errors and is it able to complete a repair on the file? joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

I have Outlook 2000 SR-1 (9.0.4527) on just my computer as internet mail. When I ran scanpst it said there were errors and it could not repair the file but some changes were made.

I'm having the same problem with a corrupt .pst file on Outlook 2001, but for my Mac. Anyone have any experience or help with the Macs?

My suggestion is to go to and try following their tip on running scandisk before scanpst.

They also have links to other tools that can be used (some of it you have to purchase...but if it is important enough). joegz

BradSQLGuy...
I would love to see a screen shot of this pst file over 2gb (ntallstar@hotmail.com). It doesn't exist (I'll eat crow otherwise). MS does say that a pst will not function over 2gb. Corruption starts after 1.862gb. Even Outlook will prompt you with a message stating the file is too large to view or open. I've successfully recovered a 2gb pst once by setting up outlook to deliver mail to a blank pst and then attaching the big one afterwards. It takes about 20 minutes for it to index the file before it opens up. By removing the exchange service or internet client, you increase the speed in which the index is parsed, because it doesn't try to update any calendar, contact, email info. Once the file is loaded, you can begin to (Painfully slow) importing the stuff you want into the clean pst, or delete items. Unfortunately every click will take approximately 20 - 30 minutes to process. Another indication that the pst file will function at the 2gb size and above is the fact that a pst file is nothing more than a modified mdb file. Just like Access, Outlook data files cannot exceed 2gb without corruption. If you have a pst that is corrupted and is just under the 2gb mark, then open Access 2000 or 2002 and import a table from the outlook data file. You can than delete anything using a table view for faster processing. If anybody has proof (screenshot) of a pst file over 2gb that works, i would like to see it. Email it to ntallstar@hotmail.com

ntallstar,

I used to support over 15,000 employees running Outlook 2000. It was rare, but occasionally I'd run into a user that had a 2+ GB PST that was functioning. However, every single one was "painfully slow" as you put it. The largest functioning one that I came across was around 2.3 GB. It is important for me to mention that for every functioning one I saw, there were at least 20 that didn't.

Now, "repairing" a PST over 2 GB is a different can of worms. I've NEVER SEEN the repair tool work when a PST was over the 2GB mark. For this reason alone, you would never want to venture above 2gig... [pipe]

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

NTAllstar-
Unfortunately I don't have a screenshot of that pst. What I can tell you is we support roughly 3000 users and some of them have exceeded 2gig. Scanpst.exe will not scan a pst file larger then 2gig yes that statement is true...but there is something called a pst shaver that will break down that file. The 3gig pst was functioning but had inconsistencies. The only way to repair a pst that large is to download the pst shaver software. Microsoft doesn't distribute this software strangly enough but you can find it on the web. -Brad
A+, MCSE NT4, MCDBA SQL7

P.S. Ntallstar (you can eat cow now) ;-) just kidding. But seriously just an FYI. When you work in a large environment..believe me you see alot of wierd things that "Microsoft" says they don't support or doesn't happen but is possible. For example Windows NT used to not support defragment tool because "Microsoft" said there is no fragmentation with NTFS. Come to find out someone wrote a defragment tool for it that showed it actually did fragment. Microsoft bought the software and incorporated it in Windows 2000 and also Windows NT SP6. The truth is with NTFS there is little to no fragmentation but over time it still happens. :) -Brad
A+, MCSE NT4, MCDBA SQL7

Kewl...thanks Brad for the tip!
~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Since I started this Thread I have come up with a few miraculous solutions - to help Outlook run faster!

I created a new PST file (File, New, Personal Folders File (.pst)) that is stored on my LOCAL hard drive that is an active PST just as if it were on the server. I set-up a PST for each major topic of information and move items there using the Rules Wizard, i.e. Topic A - Topic A's folder, All e-mail attachments over 500KB are moved to a specific Folder - Large Attachments, etc.

I try to keep my Server Based PST to under 30 MB and Outlook runs so much faster (believe me...) I also implemented this same technology on another machine that I use to access e-mail via a <<slow>> dial-up connection to a server. This file I keep to under 10 MB.

Also, I noticed that the #1 location that was consuming my file size - Sent Items. Monthly, I export the Sent Items to a PST file and then delete them off the main server. I keep each month in its own file and it has cleaned up my space consumption a lot. I then burn a CD of the files (quarterly) and then delete from the hard drive. The whole process takes about 30 minutes.

Happy e-mailing all! definition of 'less behind': &quot;not fully caught up, digging out slowly, one-week delay to &quot;The IT hit the fan.&quot;

When I last encountered pst size problems like discussed above (unable to delete etc.) I was able to do one thing.

Create 1 or more new pst's than drag files from the bad pst to the new pst's, essentially making 2 or more smaller pst's.

Outlook let me do ONLY the drag and drop but it got the job done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back