Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook File bar 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

evosmudge

Technical User
Apr 23, 2002
US
When making a new email using MS Outlook, the "File, Edit, View..." bar that is usually at the top of the page is not placed there. It is actually placed 4 lines down on the email body portion and words are hidden under the bar when typing. Is there a way to move this bar? There is no handle (3 vertical dots) to the left of the bar to allow the user to grab and move it.

This is a problem on my boss's laptop and may have been present for a little over a month. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

The Menu (File) bar was likely accidentally dragged down into the message part of the email at some point. When this happens you lose the "handle". Even though you can't see the "handle" you should be able to left click anywhere on a blank section of the Menu bar and drag it back into place.

If this fails try right clicking on the menu bar, then on the Customize box that shows up select the "Toolbars" tab. Left click on "Menu Bar" and click the "Reset" button.

Cheers.

Thank you cmeagan656 for your recommendations. Unfortunately, neither steps made any changes. I attempted to reset the menu bar a few times with no avail. It seems more like a software issue rather than a user setting issue, but that is only based off my computer understanding.

Are there other options, or would I have to result to uninstalling the software and re-install?

Thanks in advance.

Does this only happen under your boss' Outlook profile or under the profile of anyone using that laptop?

You could try one of the following:

- a Detect & Repair of Outlook. Open Outlook, then go Help ->Detect and Repair... and follow the prompts.

- assuming XP Pro for and O/S you could try a System Restore to before the problem happened. You will lose any MS updates and program installations or updates that have occurred since the Restore point but your data will remain intact.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back