Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook Express with Lotus Notes problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivanst

Technical User
Feb 14, 2002
GB
I have 3 users on 3 G4 Apple Macs set up exactly the same accessing their mail via a POP3 service running on a Lotus Notes server, one is ok but the other two intermittantly have problems that last for days/weeks. The problem is that when they are trying to receive their mail, they eventually get a messsage "An operation on the server timed out, the server may be down, overloaded, or there may be too much net traffic".
At times it appears to right itself.
When I set up their accounts on a PC with identical parameters as to the Mac settings it works OK without a problem.

Try pinging the server from the 2 problematic machines and see what the response time is compared to the good machine. Then do a telnet on port 1352 on all 3 to make sure they are connecting. Finally, check all their ports (FILE - Preferences - User Preferences - Ports Tab) and make sure they only have the necessary ports (TCP/IP). Sometimes, the basic install configures weird ports on machines...

Wait a sec, your subject line says something about outlook express. Tell me about your configuration with outlook and notes....

Outlook express is setup as per normal on the mac except that in the incoming mail(POP Server) we have the IP address of the Lotus Notes server and in the Outgoing(SMTP) we have the IP address of our Lotus Notes server, and also we have it set to retain the messages on the notes server. The password for the account ID is the same as that set in the Persons Record/Internet password in Lotus Notes. The SMTP bit works as they can send mail, it just clags up when receiving.
What command do you use for pinging on a mac as ping does not seem to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back