Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook express sends but won't recieve

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonwilbanks

IS-IT--Management
Oct 16, 2002
US
The full version of Outlook works fine but Outlook express is unable to check for new messages. I can create and send mail from Outlook express successfully. I am using Exchange 2000 SP3.

Here is the error message I get -

There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your Password was rejected. Account: 'mercury (1)', Server: 'mercury', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92

Well, the error is saying that your password is wrong, and/or does not match the username you're entering in OE.

That what the message says but I am sure the password and username are right and the same combo of username and password works in the full version of Outlook and OWA.

Are you doing all this from the same machine (Outlook, OWA, OE), and only having the OE fail?

Access your exchange server using your web browser. Type in your userID/password/domain name. This will verify that you are using the correct password. Once you are positive you have the correct userID & password open OE. Click tools, accounts, select account and hit Properties, servers. Then retype the userID & password.

Yes I am trying from the same machine.
I can access exchange with my browser and logon with no problem. I retyped the username and password in OE several times and still no luck.

Make sure that you've entered the POP3 and SMTP servers properly in OE then, perhaps you're trying to go to the wrong server? one other than yours.

Are you specifying the name of the mail server instead of the ip address? Try using the ip address instead.

I've tried the name and the IP address and still no luck.

Just to understand better, is your full version of Outlook set up to receive mail using Microsoft Exchange or POP (Internet Mail)?

Not sure if your network setup is similar to mine, but my Exchange Server has an external IP and an internal IP address. When I specify the POP settings using the external IP address whilst in my LAN, I'll get similar error as yours.

Hi!

I`m having the same problem than jonwilbanks. Please, how can I solve it?

jonwilbanks, how did you solve it?

I've alredy tried everytihng taht you guys described above and I tried usig telnet too and it didn't work as it should.

Thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back