Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook Express problem with attachments and shortcuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

NicaGringo

Technical User
Jul 25, 2002
US
I have a user that is using Outlook Express and has problems attaching files to her emails. When she goes to attach a file, she normally accesses the folder through the shortcut on her desktop when the "Insert Attachment" window pops up. Normally she would select the folder's shortcut and then select the file and attach it. Recently though, instead of opening up the folder, Outlook Express attaches the folder's shortcut (.Ink) to the mail message. The user claims that this wasn't happening before and that normally it would open up to the folder so that she could attach the files she wanted. I have tested this o my machine with the same problem occuring, but have found the the full version of Outlook does not cause this to happen. Is there a registry setting or some other setting that I can change to have OE open up the folder instead of attaching the shortcut?

With OE open create a new message then click on the Insert menu and navigate to the target file(s) to be attached to the message the way the user should be in the first place instead of try to use a unstable desktop shortcut. Just because a techique worked for a period of time does not mean it's a bonified procedure, as evidensed by the technique finally being rejected by the Windows program. Very common for a user to think a poorly constructed technique or procedure works well until Windows rejects that technique or procedure then they incorrectly assume that it's Windows and not them. It's actually Operator Error.

Emachines, AMD 1.79 GHz, 256 Mb RAM, 40 Gb HDD, ADSL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back