Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook Express on many computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfarena

Technical User
Aug 22, 2001
US
Hello, I work for an ISP in Delaware and had a question for all.

A customer is running Outlook Express 5.5 on 5 separate computers (all 5 of his accounts are set up on each computer in a separate identity with the leave mail on server option checked). He tells me that his mail (until he removes each account and reset them each up) will not download, nor will his outlook express indicate that there are new messages but I can see on the server side that he is checking his messages. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to why this may be happening. I thought it might be Norton AV or a firewall or something getting in the way but I had him turn it all off. Is OE getting confused by all the boxes checking the mail? The wierd part about all of this is that it just started happening two weeks ago. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I doubt OE is getting confused. Mine runs happily enough checking 9 e-mail accounts without any problems.

kwunder

Try un-installing outlook express and re-install it. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional

"Things are not always as they seem;
the first appearance deceives many."
Phaedrus (15BC - 50AD) Roman poet, short-story writer

Glen,

I had him upgrade one of his computers to IE6 from 5.5 with no change. All of his computers are exhibiting the same problem, yet I cannot recreate it on a workstation here.

Jon

Did you remove it first. Whatever is causing the problem may just stay with the new version. Might be something buried that both versions use. Good luck. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional

"Things are not always as they seem;
the first appearance deceives many."
Phaedrus (15BC - 50AD) Roman poet, short-story writer

HI.

Maybe he has an oversized or corrupt inbox folder?
Tell the client to try moving old messages to a different folder, compact all folders, then try again.

You can use Tools-Options-Maintenance at the client to generate a log file that might help you troubleshooting.

In the mean time and for troubleshooting assitant, tell the client to use some Magic for reading his mail and deleting from the server:

Bye
Yizhar Hurwitz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back