Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook Express not working with new outgoing email server

Status
Not open for further replies.

smarch

IS-IT--Management
Oct 30, 2002
US
I have an outlook express acct that worked but we changed the outgoing server due to the spam issues at the ISP. I have tried numerous variations of the acct setup but constantly get the password prompt.
I have done the fix outlined in this forum by cleaning out the regedit Protected Storage System Provider but this has made no difference.
This is an XP pc and all the other XP's on the network use Outlook 2000.
Any other ideas? Should I install Outlook on this pc? Rather than Outlook Express (which came with it)?
Im going to delete all accts and start over, but thought Id see if there are any other ideas out there.
Thanks for any help!

Getting a password prompt when you open OE or when you try to send messages?

joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

We get it when we try to poke the mail server.
The other network vendor they use put 2 email accts out there. One for incoming and one for outgoing(which is a different server from incoming)
I ended up deleting all the accts, then re-creating just the one original acct and put their outgoing server in the appropriate box under the Servers Tab. I did not create another acct for just outgoing mail (SMTP) like the last person did.
I then still had to clean out the Protected Storage System Provider area in the RegEdit.
And so far it seems to be working again. Im not sure if this will continue to work but the root of the problem seemed to be two-fold - the outgoing server is not needed as a separate acct or it seemed to confuse it and since they recieved so many prompts for the password I think the Protection Storage System Provider had too many out line items there.
Not sure if all that is logical thinking. Does that make sense to you or am I way off?
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back