Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

outlook express (msimn.exe) back from the dead ! Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tbarney

Technical User
Jan 16, 2002
US
New install of windows 2k. I do not want anyone to use outlook express on this machine. I can't delete the outlook express executable file (msimn.exe). When I try it, the file re-appears. When I try to delete the directory, it will not let me. Windows installer service is not running. Anybody know how to delete this file for good?

Reinstall Internet Explorer and choose customize and do not install Outlook Express... that should allow you to delete it from the system. CJ
- Jr. Rocket Man

M$ File Protection System says you have to have it.
Check out M$KB Q255771 for ways to limit the effects of M$FPS.

I don't know what you can do about it -- every new username that logs into that PC -- regardless of what is in "Default User";

will have an icon created for Express in the Quick Launch Bar -- THAT you can delete -- it's just a shortcut

but the file itself seems to "counted on as being there" if you ever put the real Outlook on...

I know the goal is never have 'em accidentally launch Express - but other than delete icons user by user as they login the first time each to a given PC -- Idunno

You do not say if your machine is a stand alone or a member of a domain or workgroup.
HoweverIn a nutshell as long as you have administrator rights you can use the local security policy to prevent anything to anybody.

start
programs
administrative tools
local security policy

any decent book will explain the required criteria.
best of luck
fabian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back