Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook Express hangs (stops responding)

Status
Not open for further replies.

biker900

MIS
Jul 17, 2001
AU
Hi all,

Outlook Express 6 stops responding. I can navigate through my folders but I can't send mail or close the program. I need to right-click and select close. Then I get the "Program not responding" box and it shuts down that way. Another problem is that it can't receive mail, it says it can't connect to my mail server and IE 6 doesn't display pages either. I have been in touch with my ISP and they have said my connection and setup look OK. Also at the same time this problem appeared, the dial-up box doesn't appear any more when starting either IE or OE.

Is there a way of repairing IE and OE without re-installing Win XP? Or is there a more simple solution?
Any ideas please??

you can reinstall IE/OE 6 by getting the download from the microsoft website. if you reinstall over the existing IE6 it will not remove your current files.

that being said, before you do any changes, have a backup.

~Shmoes

I lay claim to nothing and everything. My words may be wisdom or disaster. In the end you make a choice. Noone is perfect.

Internet Explorer 6 in WIn XP - Serious problem
thread779-543683

DEINSTALL Explorer 6
thread779-547354

Are you still dialing to your ISP or have you switched over to DSL or Cable?

Check the Internet Connections tab to make sure you are set for dialling your ISP or LAN connection for DSL or Cable.

Thanks for the info. I will try the suggested fixes and let you know the results.

linney, i have a user at my work, that uses IE6 on his XP pro laptop .. with no problems

~Shmoes

I lay claim to nothing and everything. My words may be wisdom or disaster. In the end you make a choice. Noone is perfect.

Shmoes.

"i have a user at my work, that uses IE6 on his XP pro laptop .. with no problems"

Can you add anything further to the above comment, you seem to have left it unfinished.

Sorry Linney I was rushed,

I didn't realize that was the subject of the thread, i thought it was a statement.

"Internet Explorer 6 in WIn XP - Serious problem"

my bad.

~Shmoes

Shmoes.

That clears that up. It would be great if all problems were as easily solved.

aww, come on now, that would be no fun =)

take care

~Shmoes

Tried re-registering DLLs, re-installing IE & OE, then tried a re-install of Win XP over itself. Nothing has worked, still get the same errors. Have bitten the bullet and reinstalled XP and apps from scratch. Another 3 hours down the drain! I am now going to use an imaging program so I won't have to do this again (hopefully). Thanks again to all that replied.

I have this problem with outlook from time to time, it just will not respond!, I go to the task manager and chose outlook, which by the way is in there about 5+ times and close them, then it will work again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back