Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook Express giving error message with Bellsouth DSL

Status
Not open for further replies.

tearsmith

Technical User
Sep 7, 2003
US
Recently we finally moved into the 21st century and dumped our dial-up internet for BellSouth DSL. They sent us the modem and the software to install. Here's the problem...

We are using MS Outlook to retrieve our email. When MS Outlook opens up, the first thing that happens is an error message that pops up. It says, Can not find script file "c:\ProgramFiles\Support.Com\Bellsouth\vbs\sdc OECapture.js". If you click OK button, program resumes as if nothing happened and you can retrieve email. However, this message everytime is very annoying. Can anyone tell me what it means??

System stats:
Sony Vaio
Windows XP
Westell Modem with BS DSL
MS Outlook

Thanks

I spent over a week dealing with this issue with multiple BellSouth techs, and trying every workaround I could try, including swithing to analog and an IDSN line. I finally determined that the problem is being caused by security changes Bell South made to the com ports (usually Com 1) supposedly to improve your service. What they didn't tell subscribers in their "improvements are coming" email to customers, is that the DSL modem has modified the 25 and 110 ports, which Outlook and OE don't like. I have gotten a variety of errors but this is where I believe the real problem lies. I am able to download email but not send. And I finally had it confirmed after exhaustive research by a Bell South tech. They did it, not to improve your security, but because they were getting to many complaints about outgoing spam coming from bellsouth. So they have screwed up email for all of us.

My problem is on the "mother" computer, where the DSL modem is configured. I can use, XP on another computer coming off same DSL hub and I can use Bell South DSL at another residence. But all of my promlems started around the first part of July, which is when Bell South started restricting use of these ports. I have been told by senior level techs that they did not do it for business customers, only consumers and that I could sign up as business account if I wanted to get around. It costs more and you get lower upload and download speeds.

I just sent a complaint, as a tech advised me to do, to webmaster@bellsouth.net I am going to have to switch to another ISP for DSL. I have multiple ISP's but I spent a week trying to solve this problem. I could fix it temporarily but then it would restrict incoming port again. MOst of their techs (and I must have talked to 20, including level 2 and supervision, either don't know or have been told not to disclose what they did. But I figured out myself and then they comfirmed. I have given them two days to fix and then I am switching to another provider. Good luck and hope you send a complaint. As I told the webmaster, if they spent half as much time taking care of iccoming spam, like going to message book format as Earthlink has done, their customers would be a lot happier and I wouldn't have to spend a week of my life try to figure out how my computer got so screwed up.

By the way, you might try disconnecting your modem and use your analog port off same computer. If still gives you problems, then you know the DSL modem has made changes to your ports. Good luck. freddog95

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back