Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook express Export/Import prob

Status
Not open for further replies.

richardhowell

Instructor
Oct 31, 2002
GB
I am migrating from my Windows 98 pc to my new system running XP SP2. I want to recreate my inbox, sent items etc on the new system. The source is running Outlook Express V6.00.2800.1123 and the target is V6.00.2900.2180. I have succeeded in exporting relevant .dbx files and copying onto a directory in the new system, but when I try and import, the wizard says it can't find any messages to import in the dir I specified in the browse. Any ideas please?

I'm having a similar problem. Going from Win98 and Outlook Express to Win XP Pro, SP2 and outlook express. The Outlook Express on the old computer will not allow me to export the address book. I open address book, then go to file, and the export label in the drop down menu is not available. I've tried copying the info through win 98 explorer , but nothing copies over when I import into win xp pro. any hints?

copy the .wab using explorer to the new box.

when you say mirgate are you using the XP transfer option or are you networked or just trying to go to a floppy or flash drive an then copy it to the new XP box?

a little more info might help.

I have gone to explorer on my computer with Win 98, found wab & copied to floppy. Then I take the floppy to the new computer with WinXP Pro, open outlook express, then file, import to address book. Outlook Exp, says import was successful but when I go to address book - nothing is there.

make sure that you copied all .wab files
sometimes there are multiple address books.

before you copy it note the file sizes, copy the larger of the files to your floppy.

Er.. excuse me peechee, you seem to have taken over this thread with your problem about address books. I'm fine with my address book, it's the actual messages in .dbx files I'm trying to figure out.
Eyec - I have two completely separate systems, not networked together or anything. When I say "migrate" I'm not doing anything fancy. Simply copying onto another medium, eg floppy, and transferring to new pc.
On the old pc I created new folders of Inbox and Sent with the prefix "bak" and copied all messages to the appropriate backup folder. This was so that they'd have different names from the folders created by express on the new system and wouldn't try and overrwrite them.
After export, I identified the relevant .dbx files, which I transferred to the new pc. But the import wizard on XP box doesn't recognise them.

richard,
when you exported your messages, which format did you export them to?

i don't have a W98 box handy, but if memory serves me the export options for messages were to export them to OUTLOOK or OUTLOOK Exchange only. if that is the case, then when you go to import them into your XP box select OUTLOOK as your source.

When I have to export messages and adddresses from one computer to another, I usually do the following:

About messages:
===============

I copy the folder where the .DBX are in the old computer/installation to a backup device ( other folder in the same disk, USB drive, etc)

In the new installation, I do the import from OE ( 5 or 6 ), choose from a folder and then I choose the backup folder,

About contacts:
===============
I export using CSV format, choosing all fields.

Then I import using "Other Address Book" and after CSV file.

Thanks for your help. I think I've got it sorted out now by going via Outlook. Copying .pst files and then importing into OE from Outlook. A bit convoluted, and a pain in the @rse, but it seems to work!

how we sometimes get things done!
A bit convoluted, and a pain in the @rse, but it seems to work! . . .richardhowell
[bigcheeks]

how we sometimes get things done!

For "sometimes" read "usually"!!

(How do you get that quote thing to work?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back