Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook Express error

Status
Not open for further replies.

rkfox

Programmer
Feb 15, 2002
US
I hope this is the proper forum to ask my question about a problem I am having with IE and it's email Outlook Express.

I have recently started to have a real problem with email using Outlook Express and hope someone can give me an assist. I am running IE 6.0 and Outlook Express 6.0.

It seems like all of a sudden OE stopped working - when I try to read my mail, I get the following message:

"msimn.exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows. you need to restart the program. An error log is being created"

It now doesn't seem like I can do anything in Outlook Express without this message showing up.

What is causing the error? How do i fix it? Do I need to find and delete the log files? (there must be a great deal of log files saved by now, I would guess)

I am running Win 2000 version 5.0 build 2195

Thanks,

Dick Fox

Have you tried the repair option for IE6 in Control Panel > Remove/install programs? Double click on the IE entry and choose repair.

I tried it and it seemed to do something but unfortunately still have the same problem. A few seconds after Outlook Express starts up the above error message comes up and the program shuts down. This seemed to start after I received a message with an attachment and a reurn reciept requested on last friday.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks for the reply. I looked at the links but it appeared to me that these were for different errors than the one I am getting. Is there any good way to delete and reinstall Outlook Express -- I am thinking that maybe this might help?

If you really want to uninstall Outlook express and reinstall it you might want to go to your add/remove program and choose to uninstall Internet Explorer 6.0, unless your version of windows can with IE 6, you should get an option to go back to the previous version of IE you had installed before upgrading to 6. Your Outlook Express with downgrade along with it.

After you can just go to the microsoft site and download the upgrade and reinstall it. I don't know if this will fix your problem with OE though but it can't hurt to try. The more I work with computers the more I think i should of raised gerbils instead.

Thanks so much for the input. I finally found and corrected the problem. Evidently the Registry entries for my identities had gotten corrupted somehow (no idea how!) and they needed to be deleted and then reentered. I used regedit to delete them and then started Outlook Express and filled them in and it seemed like that fixed the problem. I finally found the exact error message in a support.microsoft article that explained in good detail what to do and the cause of the message I was getting.

Thanks again to everyone who helped with this most annoying problem. I really appreciate your assistance.

I have the same problem. Can you post the link so I can fix the problem. I'm don't feel easy about editing the registry.
Thanks,
Dave

Well, I found thelink, went thru the steps, was working fine until I reloaded Outlook Express 6. Same problem!!! as before.
Now trying to reload W2K Pro and Outlook %
DAve

Go back to a good copy of the registry .

If you cannot fix the problem with the registry by performing the Emergency Repair Process or by selecting Last Known Good Configuration from the Windows 2000 Advanced Options menu, it might be necessary to reinstall the operating system and device drivers and to reconfigure the system before you can restore the data.

Well I bit the bullet and formatted and reloaded W2K Pro. Thanks for all the help.
Dave

When I try to print a message in Outlook Express, only the header prints not the main body of the message. Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back