Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook express deletes more than one email at a time 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peechee

Technical User
Dec 11, 2004
US
I am using outlook express 6. When I highlight ONE email, and then click on delete, TWO emails are deleted. Can't find anything about this anywhere online. Help please.

I am having the same problem with OE6 as of about a week ago, and also am unable to find info on this. I use Windows XP with service pack 3 and a Dell desktop. I checked the Microsoft website in the knowledge base and forums, no luck.

Other problems include having to click on a toolbar function 5 or 6 times to get the menu to appear for more than half a second. I opened one of my pics in My Pictures, then tried to use the "next" arrow, but it skipped the next pic and chose the one after. It does that around half the time.

I often read the Comcast Community Forums, and recently several members there reported a virus had been found in the forums. I have the ESET antivirus program, but it turned up nothing with 2 scans (I scanned all areas).

Both of you should run MalwareByte's Anti-Malware and/or SuperAntiSpyware just to rule out bad stuff on your computer. Then, once you feel you are clean, see if symptoms are still there.

It doesn't matter if you have anti-virus installed by the way - you could have something.

I had partial success running scans with both Malwarebyte programs, thanks.

The second program found 4 tracking cookies. I was able to delete one email at a time today, but the other issues are still present. I have had success with the AVG free and paid editions before, so may try one of those again if these glitches persist.

I wouldn't worry about tracking cookies. Have you tried a different mouse for the "need to click multiple times" problem?? Just a thought.

I don't have another mouse, will stop by a friend's house next week for a swap out.

If the mouse doesn't make things work - take a look at your data store folder and see how big the files are in there.

# Start Outlook Express.
# Click Tools, and then click Options.
# On the Maintenance tab, click Store Folder.
# In the Store Location dialog box- this is your data store

My optical mouse failed 2 tests on another system compared to the system mouse, so I need a new one. It looks impervious to dirt getting in, so guess they wear out with heavy usage after 3-4 years?

The personal store folder had 95Mb of email stuff. I had failed to purge the deleted files since 2006 (90% of the folder), so did that.

95MB is nothing, so don't worry. The mouse was just that - a bad mouse.

This is weird, but the mouse has not been a problem since the deleted email folder was zapped 5 days ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back