Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook Express closes down

Status
Not open for further replies.

bygeek

IS-IT--Management
May 12, 2002
US
I have a customer with a bizarre problem. When he tries to send an email with OE with an attachment, as soon as you click Send, the entire application closes down. No error message, nothing. Sometimes it works ok the first time after a reboot, but never the second time. I found some references to bad ram, so I replaced the ram, and got an error message saying it could not send the message because there was not enough memory. Also tried doing a system restore - went back approx 30 days to 2 different dates and restore failed. Went back 2 weeks and got a good restore, but the problem still exists.

Another issue that may or may not be related is they are seeing duplicate files in Windows Explorer, but they could not show me any because they already deleted them.

O/s is XP home, 512mb ddr ram.

Any ideas appreciated.

Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most......

1st step , run a virus check from 1 or all of these .
Online Virus check ( free )

====================================

Repair IE6
Windows XP comes with Internet Explorer 6. Microsoft has made IE part of the core operating system. If you think IE is screwed up, and want to repair it, you must use the sfc command:

Start > Run , copy & paste Sfc /scannow & press Enter .

This will scan and restore protected system files ( which IE is ).

Or ,

If this does not work, check out How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP

Hi,
what would you sugest for outlook (office 2k)? same procedure?
thanks for yr reply

The customer found a solution. It seems the files he was trying to attach were five levels deep. He created a new folder (fewer levels deep), moved the files, and deleted the original folder. The files now seem to attach ok. Go figure.

when I press send, it automatically closes down outlook 2000
without attachements or anything?
what to do?
I did a virus scan and came out ok, no virus.

ok have discovered that disabeling spell check solved my problem, actually when pressing send, the spell check program initiates and that is when outlook closes down!
no to find the problem in spell check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back