Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook Express cannot connect to Exchange 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

azdolt

MIS
May 20, 2002
US
Hi,

I am currently configuring an test exchange 2000 server, for some reason I cannot connect to Exchange using Outlook or Outlook Express. However I can use a brower to access the Outlook Web Client using the same username and password.

Any pointers would be greatly appericated.

Rgds,
Alan.

It will just keep asking for my username and password as if I had it wrong, but I know it's right, because I can use the same username and password to login to Outlook Express Web client.

here is what I get when I cancel out of the username and password dialog box (if I have "Log on using Secure Password Authentication" box checked in account properties):
Unable to logon to the server using Secure Password Authentication. Account: 'mail', Server: 'xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR The AUTH protocol exchange was canceled by the client.', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC18

here is what I get when I cancel out of the username and password dialog box (if I have "Log on using Secure Password Authentication" box unchecked):
There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your Password was rejected. Account: 'mail', Server: 'xxx.xxx.xxx.x', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92

TIA,
Alan

I'm not sure what it is, so I'm going to fire off a few possibilities:
Is POP3 enabled as a protocol on your Exchange server?
Does it work inside and/or outside the local network?
Do any other accounts work?
Are you able to POP3 to an existing mail server on the same LAN?
-Steve

Thank you for your help, I am a retard. :p
I forgot that I enable the outgoing server authentication, and it wasn't configure probably on the Exchange. I got it working now.

Alan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back