Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook Express and Microsoft Word

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdonahoe

Programmer
Apr 18, 2002
US
I am using Outlook Express 6, Microsoft Word 97, and Win98SE. OE6 is unable to open a Word document from an e-mail attachement. Word opens up, but the hour glass hangs forever, and the document never opens. My PC usually freezes up and I have to restart it. I have no problems opening a document from Word itself, or by double-clicking a word document in Explorer.

Any ideas what's wrong and if it can be corrected?

In Tools > Options > Security , do you allow attachments to be opened .... ?

PAnderson:

Yes, I allow attachmentst to be opened. OE can open all attachments except Word documents.

The attachment may have been written by Word2002. An idea to save it and use a viewer to inspect it (or upgrade Word97) ?

PAndersen:

Thanks for the idea about Word2002. The doc was written in Word2000, but when I saved it, Word 97 opened it with no problem. It just won't open from Outlook Express. It looks like I'm going to have to re-install OE.

Pandersen:

I've never installed SP1 for OE. I truly believe I have a corrupted file somewhere, and rather than try to track this down any further, I've decided it's time to upgrade from 98SE to XP. That should take care of the problem!

Thanks for your ideas!

Pete Donahoe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back