Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OUTLOOK.EXE has generated errors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 13, 2001
US
We have recently switched our email service from corp. workgroup to IMAP. I have an IBM NetVista with Win 2k and Office 2K. I imported my old *.pst file for contacts and personal folders. Everything went over just fine for about four months. The only program I have put on my PC since the change is pcAnywhere. Now when I start Outlook 2K I get this error. “OUTLOOK.EXE has generated errors and will be closed by windows. You will need to restart the program.” I went to the Microsoft web page and found article Q297010. The article tells you to go to run and type, “outlook.exe /cleanpst", then import the pst file back into outlook. I did this and got the same result. I then reloaded the system and started outlook with a new pst file (not importing the old one). I still got the same error. I then switched to my laptop (Win 98, office 97 outlook 98), imported the old pst file and everything is fine. What is going on?

Have you tried running a scanpst on the personal folder itself. You should have the scanpst.exe program file somewhere in your system (depends what OS) to check for errors in the folder.

You data in the folder could be corrupted and not the file itself. joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

Yeah I did that as well and there were no errors. I scanned the old pst file and the one created for IMAP

We were getting the same issue with Outlook 2000 and Windows 2000 Pro because of Net Folders. I ran the Nfclean utility the problem went away. You can do this by going to Start => Search => Find Files and Folders, type in Nfclean and search. If you have Net Folders installed, it should find nfclean.exe. Just double click on to run, you'll just see an hour glass while it runs, there is no interface. Then launch Outlook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back