Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook does not hang up as advertised

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerseyboy

Technical User
Mar 7, 2002
US
I have scoured the net looking for this answer! There is a check box that indicates that it will disconnect your ISP when "done checking for messages". It does not, has not and will not work on my PC. Is there a trick to this?

I have a nifty computer answering machine that starts outlook and it then connects to the ISP automatically. The problem is that is never disconnects and will leave my connection live all day. Not very handy I must say.

Any help appreciated, this is my first time in this forum. JerseyBoy
Remember: self-praise is no recommendation

Win 98 SE

I do have a dual boot with Win2000 on the machine, but primarily for playing, as I like my games! JerseyBoy

In my search I see that there is an "idle" limit avail in and Advanced tab (different locations depending on OS or [3eyes]Internet Explorer Version[3eyes]). When I get home I will have to see if this obscure check box is the answer to my problem. If it works, I will pass on my findings, but any insight on the topic is still most welcome. JerseyBoy

I asked which version of windows because I had a similar problem, but it's one specific to win 2k advanced server. I'll keep an eye on the thread here and see if you figured it out.

What happens if you disable your "nifty computer answering machine", and then open Outlook normally, and then manually check for new mail?

ROGER - GØAOZ.

I should have posted that I checked previously for that. I have had this problem for more than a year. I also have Talk Works Pro from Symantec installed and wanted to use that program, but it has become to buggy and they don't offer it anymore. I just worked around the limitation. I have always been able to check my Email by using outlook, but it NEVER has disconnected when finished.

UPDATE: I search for a mystery "disconnect when idle" checkbox that Tech-net talked about, but I figure that this feature is not present in IE6 since I cannot find it. I guess right now that I will have to write a VB program that runs through the process of connecting/starting outlook/get messages/close outlook and the connection. The problem is that I have no idea how to do that. JerseyBoy

JerseyBoy,

I have reread all of the posts, and I think there's a different way to get what you want. I don't have access to a '98 machine, or one with dialup, so I'm going from memory here.

If you click the start button and select control panel, there is a setting called something like "dial up networking". You should see an item there that corresponds to the settings you use to connect with your ISP. There, you can select to have the connection dropped after a certain period of inactivity. I have used that in the past, and I like it quite a bit. If I get up from my computer and get sidetracked, I don't have to worry about going back to the machine to disconnect it.

Let me know what sort of progress you're having.

mahasamatman

The inactivity monitor in the 'dial-up networking' works well. But you need to make sure your inactivity time is set less than your 'recheck mail every....' time in outlook or it still never hangs up.

You know it's a funny thing... the activity monitor is disabled on my PC (That is to say it exists in the box, but it cannot be manipulated because it is disabled). I don't understand what to do if you want to enable it. Perhaps that would be the answer. I keep searching...;-) JerseyBoy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back